I'm sure these came from the back of the Kelloggs box at some point in time, but here is how I got the recipe....
In our old house I had the most wonderful neighbor across the street. Teresa and I had kids the same age and was a SAHM also. We would sit on her front steps day after day and watch the kids play. I miss those days. While we sat we would swap recipes. Her mother is this adorable, tough as nails yet kind hearted German woman. She came here as a child not speaking any English. She is called Oma by all her grandchildren and by my children as well.
Oma got this recipe from her next door neighbor when Teresa was young. This neighbor happened attend the Methodist Church. So, Oma called them Methodist Cookies. They are called that in my house too. What ever you want to call them, they are delicious! Enjoy!
Special K Cookies AKA: Methodist Cookies
1 cup sugar
1 cup Karo light syrup
1 cup peanut butter
5 cups Special K cereal
1 package chocolate chips
1 package butterscotch chips
1) In a large pot combine sugar and Karo syrup. Bring to a boil until sugar is dissolved, 1 minute tops.
2) Add peanut butter and stir until melted
3) Add Special K and mix to coat.
4) Push into greased 9x13 pan
5) Melt in double boiler chocolate and butterscotch chips. This can be done in the microwave if you prefer.
6) Spread over Special K mixture.
7) Let set and cut into bars.